Smoking blamed for Pa. fire that left 20 homeless
Posted: April 1, 2014 - 4:04am

PHOENIXVILLE, Pa. (AP) — Fire officials in southeastern Pennsylvania say smoking in bed is to blame for a fire that has left 20 people homeless.

Chester County Fire Marshal Harrison Holt also said Monday that the fire in Phoenixville caused $300,000 in damage.

It took firefighters an hour to bring the blaze under control early Sunday at the multi-unit building, which consisted of three attached row homes.

No one was hurt.

Red Cross spokesman Dave Schrader said three affected families are staying in a hotel and are being provided with clothing and food.

The Latest

Front PageAuthority trip cost about $1G

Totals for some previous Montour housing meetings ran $9G to $12G

Front PageMission: Power Puerto Rico

Local PPL workers pitch in to restore electricity to ravaged island

Front PageLawsuit: Autoneum staffer fired over illness

Woman allegedly suffers from disabling migraines

Front PageMan allegedly sent ex threatening texts

Bloom suspect accused of stalking, harassment

Front PageContractor sues former girlfriend

Mifflin man alleges woman owes him nearly $25G for renovations, vehicle downpayment