First pot-related death since legalization reported in Colo.

Posted: April 2, 2014 - 12:58pm


DENVER (AP) — The Denver coroner says an exchange student from Wyoming fell to his death after eating a marijuana cookie, the first reported death linked to marijuana since the drug became legal for recreational use in Colorado in January.

Nineteen-year-old Levy Thamba died after falling from the balcony of a Denver hotel on March 11. An autopsy report released Wednesday says he died from the fall but also lists "marijuana intoxication" as a contributing factor in his death.

Officials at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., say Thamba, a native of the Republic of Congo, started taking classes there as an exchange student in January.

Police have not released the findings of their investigation.

The Latest

Front PageJudge: Inmates cost $75 a day

Minimum taxpayer tab for two offenders to top $67G, James says

Front PageShirt maker dresses the elite

Ashland factory stitches high-end garments costing up to $450

Front PageMontour debunks email and its claims

Commissioners insist no part-timers receive paid health coverage

Front PageMahoning reformers set sights on supers, top cop

‘Pitchfork and torch’ group members say it needs more citizens to get involved, improve township

Front PagePolice: Driver who survived plunge into creek was drunk

Rohrsburg-area man’s pickup landed upside down in icy water